PanoptoUChicago's Robust Video Management Platform
New to Panopto? Use UChicago Panopto to manage your account. Want to manage Panopto videos that you’ve created through the “Panopto Video” link in a Canvas course site? Click “Manage Your Canvas Course Videos” to go to Canvas.
What Is Panopto?
Panopto is the University’s video management platform. It is a tool for recording, organizing, embedding, and live streaming video. It seamlessly integrates with Canvas for video/audio course content and can be used for DIY lecture capture and screencasts. It also includes a suite of web-based video editing tools.
While Canvas has its own basic audio and video tools, Panopto offers enhanced media features, such as in-video quizzing, student engagement tools, and automatic captioning capabilities. Panopto users are also able to leverage Panopto’s features outside of their Canvas courses.
Particular benefits of Panopto include:
- Searchability: Panopto makes it easy to search within your content. You can search for keywords in notes, bookmarks, captions, etc.
- Security: You have control over the privacy of your videos and whom you share them with.
- Accessibility: Panopto offers machine-generated closed captioning to improve the accessibility of your video content.
How You Can Use Panopto at UChicago
Panopto is an exceptionally versatile video management tool that lends itself to a wide variety of pedagogical and scholarly uses.
- Course Materials: Record videos and embed them in Canvas content pages for students to view; create in-video quizzes to assess your students’ comprehension of lecture material; or have your students record and submit their own Panopto videos as assignments.
- Flipped Classroom: Break up your instructional content into short videos for students to watch outside of class, leaving class time open for active learning activities.
- Lecture Capture: Record classroom lectures, guest speakers, or academic conference presentations and make the recordings available for others to watch and review.
- Live Streaming: With the Panopto app, easily and quickly create a webcast and broadcast it either to a select audience or to a public link. You can share your computer screen, add a PowerPoint presentation to your webcast, and more.
Please note: For marketing use cases, we do not recommend that you use Panopto. Platforms that reach a wider audience with specific marketing tools, such as YouTube, are preferable.