Panopto Is Here!UChicago's Robust New Video Management Platform
New to Panopto? Use UChicago Panopto to manage your account. Want to manage Panopto videos that you’ve created through the “Panopto Video” link in a Canvas course site? Click “Manage Your Canvas Course Videos” to go to Canvas.
Panopto maintenance, August 15, 8:00 p.m. – 11:00 p.m.
UChicago’s Panopto instance will be upgraded to the latest release on Saturday, August 15th from 8:00 pm to 11:00 pm CDT. During this time, the platform and all video uploaded to it will be unavailable. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
What Is Panopto?
Panopto is the University’s video management platform. It is a tool for recording, organizing, embedding, and live streaming video. It seamlessly integrates with Canvas for video/audio course content and can be used for DIY lecture capture and screencasts. It also includes a suite of web-based video editing tools.
While Canvas has its own basic audio and video tools, Panopto offers enhanced media features, such as in-video quizzing, student engagement tools, and automatic captioning capabilities. Panopto also offers greater ease of use and better administrative management compared to the University’s previous video management platform, Kaltura. Panopto users are also able to leverage Panopto’s features outside of their Canvas courses.
Particular benefits of Panopto include:
- Searchability: Panopto makes it easy to search within your content. You can search for keywords in notes, bookmarks, captions, etc.
- Security: You have control over the privacy of your videos and whom you share them with.
- Accessibility: Panopto offers machine-generated closed captioning to improve the accessibility of your video content.
How You Can Use Panopto at UChicago
Panopto is an exceptionally versatile video management tool that lends itself to a wide variety of pedagogical and scholarly uses.
- Course Materials: Record videos and embed them in Canvas content pages for students to view; create in-video quizzes to assess your students’ comprehension of lecture material; or have your students record and submit their own Panopto videos as assignments.
- Flipped Classroom: Break up your instructional content into short videos for students to watch outside of class, leaving class time open for active learning activities.
- Lecture Capture: Record classroom lectures, guest speakers, or academic conference presentations and make the recordings available for others to watch and review.
- Live Streaming: With the Panopto app, easily and quickly create a webcast and broadcast it either to a select audience or to a public link. You can share your computer screen, add a PowerPoint presentation to your webcast, and more.
Please note: For marketing use cases, we do not recommend that you use Panopto. Platforms that reach a wider audience with specific marketing tools, such as YouTube, are preferable.